Friday, November 18, 2011

Has anyone grown saffron crocuses successfully?

If so, in what type of climate were you located? Any tips on success?

Has anyone grown saffron crocuses successfully?
I live in zone 7 east coast. lots of clay. Still I ordered some bulbs years ago and they produced for 3 years well. I gave some of the threads to the librarian who was from India and she said it was of decent quality. Not like at home, but better than shipped in or store bought.





I reordered and kept it up for several more years but have let it all go now. Have you googled? I think I could have done better if I had raised a bed to improve drainage. The librarian was from Kashmir where the elevation was high and their was a fair amount of snow. Here is a good link. there are many more.





http://growingtaste.com/herbs/saffron.sh...





Thanks for reminding me. I would like to do this again.
Reply:All crocuses do better if the bulbs are buried in a wire cage to protect them from chipmunks etc. It takes alot of flowers to make a little saffron.


No comments:

Post a Comment