Friday, November 18, 2011

Can I make crocuses spread or grow thicker?

Hi! I have white and purple crocuses growing in the backyard. I just love them to death and they seem like maybe they are spreading slowly. Some grow in clusters, others single. I've owned the house for 3 years but it is over 100 years old and I don't know how long the crocuses have been around back there. I've done nothing except admire the flowers.


Can you recommend a way to make more grow or grow over a larger area?





As a side note: I don't know if these are wild flowers or planted or if the purple is a hybrid and the white is the result of the plants reproducing. If you have info on that, I'll gladly take it.

Can I make crocuses spread or grow thicker?
I found this article hope it helps :) Happy gardening! Propagation


By division - this is the easiest method of propagation. After several years, clumps can be dug up in the autumn and the bulbs divided and replanted.


By seed: some species, such as C. tommasinianus, will seed freely around the garden. Seed can be collected from the plants. Species of crocus should produce plants that are true from seed. Seed from cultivars might produce some interesting variations. Sow in a well-drained compost when seeds are ripe. Most species will usually flower three years after sowing.


No comments:

Post a Comment